Our planet is saturated with pesticides: They’re in our water, our food, our backyards our homes, even inside our bodies. Because of this, our pets are constantly exposed to these harmful chemicals, and therefore always at risk of pesticide poisoning. Whether ingested, inhaled, or simply absorbed from the environment, your pets are exposed to toxic pesticides every day—regardless if you personally use pesticides or not.
Because protecting pets from pesticides is a big part of what we do here at Cedarcide, we wanted to help you identify the signs & symptoms of pesticide poisoning in your pet. However, If you’re reading this right now and suspect your pet may be suffering from pesticide poisoning, shut off the computer and head to your nearest veterinarian immediately. Even low dose pesticide poisoning can be life threatening to your pet, and time is crucial to their survival.
Below are the most common signs & symptoms associated with pesticide poisoning in both cats and dogs. Note: Symptoms will vary depending on the severity of exposure; also, most animals will exhibit only a few of the symptoms, not all of them—and in rare cases, they won’t show any specific symptoms at all, just a general lethargy or lack of energy.
Here’s what you need to look for in your pets when it comes to pesticide poisoning: