Halloween is a blast for us pet parents. Along with spooky decorations and delicious treats, we get to dress up our dogs & cats in adorable costumes and make memories we’ll cherish for years to come. Unfortunately, Halloween can also be a dangerous time for our pet babies unless we take the proper precautions. Here are 5 essential Pet Safety Tips for Halloween:
All chocolate, as well as the artificial sweetener xylitol, is toxic to pets. It’s a no-brainer: keep all candy out of reach of your dogs and cats.
If Your Pet Ingests Candy, Here’s What to Look For:
- Coordination Loss
- Dark Spots on their gums
If you suspect your pet has ingested something harmful, call your vet immediately or contact the ASPCA Poison Control Center at 888-426-4435.
Ghosts and goblins aren’t just scary to people, they can really stress out our pets, too. For the safety of your animals and guests, it’s good practice to keep pets in a room away from the front door and safely removed from Halloween celebrations.
Our pets’ natural curiosity can make Halloween decorations a potentially serious hazard. In addition to choking hazards, keep open flames and other dangerous items and areas out of reach of your dogs and cats, too.
Pet costumes can be the cutest, but they can also cause discomfort and stress out our pets. In general, costumes that can easily snag or entangle your pet should be avoided.
Halloween celebrations can scare our pets, causing them to flee. If your pet escapes, having ID tags and a microchip significantly increases the chances of a safe return.